Sunday, August 23, 2009

"Foopball is a tuough game but it is a pity you canot win by hacking everybode. You hav to be nippy."




On Saturday afternoon, I played my debut game for the Hong Kong Spurs supporters' team. Mercifully, it was a friendly, as my performance was not up to much. It's three years or so since I kicked a football, and that was in five-a-side, which is quite different as it turns out. No throw-ins there, for one, my technique for which was described by a team-mate as "perhaps more suitable for netball".
Indeed, as I took my run-up for the first throw I suddenly thought wait, there are rules for this aren't there? but it was too late, so I just made the best stab at it that I could. Perhaps I'll look up some tutorials on YouTube or something.

Having done so poorly on one throw-in, I'm not sure why I took a second. I think I thought getting someone else to do it would be timewasting or perhaps insinuating that I would be best utilised on the receiving end of the throw -- clearly not true.

It later occurred to me that this was my first full-size football match ever. My school did rugby, you see, so my previous experience was limited to two types: 1) five-a-side and 2) playground kickabouts.
Both of these football forms are fine in their way and provide much-needed expertise and exercise, but there's a lot of tactical stuff to think about with 22 chaps on the pitch that I'll have to learn.

There was also a small issue with Getting Very Tired, for everyone, since it was about 30 degrees C in the sunshine. For me particularly, since it turns out it can be quite tiring to spend the morning doing a martial art based on kicking and then spend the afternoon playing a sport based on running followed by kicking.

We had rolling substitutions, thankfully, and I put in three separate stints - right wing, leftback and striker. Much to my surprise I seemed to do best at the latter. Turns out it's mostly running into space and annoying the other team's defenders, for which I have some aptitude.

Now, if I could just sort out the whole "kicking the ball into the goal" thing.

CK took some pictures, which you can see here. They're a little lacking in action, but I think I like that about them.
We won 5-2 in the end, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment